Idea to allow people to comment on Haskell docs

Axel Simon A.Simon at kent.ac.uk
Fri Jan 20 04:30:35 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 21:55 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:01 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> > It looks great!  But I'd never have found the link if you hadn't pointed
> > me at it.
> >
> > Rather than "Wiki" say "User comments".
>
> Done.
>
> > And I think the per-entry [User comment] link is essential.  Typically
> > people are going to be looking at a particular thing.  For example, here
> >
> > http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/docs/devel/Graphics-Rendering-Cairo-SVG.html#v:svgRenderFromString
> > is where I'd look for the link for svgRenderFromString.
>
> Done!
>
> So take another look at these example pages:
> http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/docs/devel/
> http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/docs/devel/Graphics-Rendering-Cairo-SVG.html
>
> For the per-entry links, to conserve space I've just said [Comments]
> rather than [User Comments] and used a smaller font. These cosmetic
> things are easy to change if anyone complains.
>
> I've sent the haddock patches that implement this stuff to Simon Marlow,
> so if people are generally favourable of this iteration of the patch
> perhaps he'd like to apply it. :-) I hope I've done the changes in such
> a way that it should be straightforward to add source code links too
> if/when haddock is taught how to find the original source file for each
> module.
>
> So, opinions?

I guess the question is if people will actually start commenting on
functions. So I would vote for the addition to haddock and see what is
happening. Maybe we need then need to gather statistics about what links
are clicked most and check which ones of these are empty (and left the
user frustrated).

Axel.