Data.List documentation improvements

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 05:10:19 EST 2006

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> | I think what is really needed is for Haddock to have some kind of
>> | "show source" link that shows the source for a function inline in the
>> | documentation without opening a new page. Often the best documentation
>> | for a function is its definition.
>>
>> I believe that Simon M has already implemented exactly that.  I'm not
>> sure whether it takes extra flags or what.
>

> He has implemented something similar, see
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/filepath/System-FilePath-Version_0_11.html#v%3AreplaceExtension
>
> for an example - click on the source link and it hops to the right
> place (using HsColour to colourise and tag the source file).

Much as I'd like to take the credit, it was Duncan Coutts who implemented that
feature :)

> I was more thinking of an "AJAX style" thing where the documentation
> appears in the same page, rather than linking to a separate page which
> contains it.

That would certainly be neat.  Maybe it could be implemented in Haskell using
YHC's JavaScript backend?  (half-joking...)

AJAX requires a server, and the nice thing about Haddock documentation is you
can view it with file:// URLs.  Maybe there's a way around this though, I'm not
an AJAX expert.

Cheers,
	Simon