System.Posix.User is inadequate

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Aug 31 10:38:30 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 03:03:21PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> John Goerzen wrote:
> >/tmp/lib/unix-1.0/ghc-6.4.2/HSunix-1.0.o: unknown symbol `lstat'
> >ghc-6.4.2: unable to load package `unix-1.0'
> >
> >This is on GHC 6.4.2, so I'm not sure what's going on.
>
> Interesting, I don't know why that might happen, but I do recally someone
> else reporting the same thing.
>
> I don't have any references to 'lstat' from my HSunix.o.

it's in System/Posix/Files.hsc, getSymbolicLinkStatus.  However there
may be some header file magic going on, as that function is often
converted to lstat64 or something depending on what macros are defined.

> Did you compile up this package using Cabal?  I wonder if it is perhaps
> because it wasn't compiled with -fvia-C, or something.

Yes.  Ian Lynagh, in trying to solve a different problem, suggested I
try using ghc instead of ghci.  I thought he was talking about this
problem, and magically it worked.  So I will go ahead and do my testing.
Maybe we are just being lucky because I don't need to test
getSymbolicLinkStatus, but hey, that's good enough for me.

-- John