Cabal with Generating files (Was: Cabal Questions

shelarcy shelarcy at
Thu Aug 17 19:52:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:05:36 +0900, Esa Ilari Vuokko <eivuokko at>
> On 8/17/06, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at> wrote:
>> We don't yet have a generic preprocessor support system. It is indeed
>> part of the plan. I know I'll need it for Gtk2Hs.
> What about UserHooks.hookedPreProcessors?  The code seemd like
> it could work, but I haven't tested it.

I think changing Setup.(l)hs definition with UserHook
is very strong, but this approach is too complex to
specify just generating file from other resources
by only one tool.

I think cabal must support to write using self
preproccesser definition in *.cabal files like this.

name: hdirect
version: 0.1
othermodules: ComPrim, AutoPrim

generatable: ComPrim
g-sources: ComPrim.idl
g-tool: ihc
g-option: -fno-export-list -fappend-interface-short-name
-fno-qualified-names -fno-imports -fno-export-lists -fkeep-hresult

generatable: AutoPrim
g-sources: AutoPrim.idl
g-tool: ihc
g-option: -fno-qualified-names -fno-imports -fno-export-lists
-fkeep-hresult -fout-pointers-are-not-refs

This is rough sketch. But I think this is useful for
discussion about "Cabal with Generating files".

shelarcy <shelarcy>