FPS 0.3

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 04:40:17 EDT 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> Following the comments over the last few days, I've implemented and
> tagged FPS 0.3. Changes include:
>
>     * Clearer docs. Emphasis on support only for latin-1
>     * Partition out the few Word8 functions
>     * Merge in all of Simon's QC tests into a combined test/benchmark suite
>     * Stress testing on huge data quantities
>     * Space profiling, improved some functions
>     * Clarify BSD license everything
>
> I think its about ready to become a ByteSequence (or whatever) library:
> a useful (actually, critical, imo) interim until we have a full
> Unicode/UTF* layer, and a Storable a => Vector a, set up.  At that point,
> the Word8/Char issues resolve themselves.
>
> As usual, info is all here:
>     http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/fps.html

Looks good to me.  I propose we resolve the naming and put it into the
base package as a replacement for Data.PackedString.

Currently the module is called Data.FastPackedString and the type is
FastString.  I like either Data.ByteString(ByteString) or
Data.ByteSequence(ByteSequence) as a replacement,
preferences/objections/alternatives?

Cheers,
	Simon