Cabal and hIDE

Bernd Brassel bbr at
Tue Nov 29 05:34:51 EST 2005

Hello there,

I try to install hIDE by cabal, but I got some problems.
First of all, it seems that I need a newer version of cabal than what is
shipped with ghc 6.4.1. According to the README of Cabal, 1.1.3 I
unregistered the older cabal first. But then I get lots of warnings the

 > Distribution/Simple.hs:432:25:
 >     Warning: This binding for `pkg_descr' shadows an existing binding
 >              In the definition of `mockPP'

Is this okay? Or should I have uninstalled something else (and how)?

Trying to use the new cabal to install hIDE, "runhaskell Setup.lhs
configure" runs without error, but then:

 > runhaskell Setup.lhs build
 > Preprocessing executables for hIDE-0.1.0...
 > Building hIDE-0.1.0...
 > ghc-6.4.1: ghc-6.4.1: panic! (the `impossible' happened, GHC version
 >         unknown exception
 > Please report it as a compiler bug to
 > glasgow-haskell-bugs at,
 > or

I guess, something went wrong, didn't it?...