Relax the Either monad

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sat Mar 26 21:32:37 EST 2005

Iavor Diatchki wrote:
 > ...I tend to think of
 > the error monad as an abstract type, and not assume that it is the
 > Either type.

Yes, that would be nice. But I am suggesting this as
a bug fix. This is a serious problem that makes it very
awkward to handle a very common case. I am hoping for
a fix that does not break currently non-broken programs.

Here are two ways to fix it:

1. The bold approach:
   o Remove the implementation of fail in Monad Either
   o Remove the Error instance requirement
   o Possibly move the Monad Either instance to a
     different module, and just import it in Control.Monad.Error

That implies that code using fail instead of throwError
to throw an Error or, worse yet, implicitly throwing an Error with a
failed pattern match, would be considered already broken.

2. The less bold but messier approach: Add a new monad to the
standard library that looks just like Either, for non-Error
calculations that need to exit with a value.

As an additional option to either (1) or (2), add aliases to
Either and ErrorT as a first step to replacing them with
better names as Iavor suggests (and does in his alternative
monad library).

I think that the current situation, in which to do a calculation
that is even slightly complex you have to either roll your
own monad or use CPS, is not acceptable.

I personally prefer (1).

-Yitz