The FunctorM library

Thomas Hallgren hallgren at
Fri Mar 25 04:21:01 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>Here's some good background reading that Google turned up:

>I think this was part of the original Haskell 98 discussion.
Yes. The message still appears under "Questions on the table", see, so I guess no decision was made...

I noted the following paragraph in particular:

  The "Functor a => Monad a" relationship is also "justifiable"
  because you can implement "map" using ">>=" and "return".
  I argued against having this relationship while on the
  Haskell 1.{3,4} committee - but I think that was a mistake.

Perhaps the time has come to correct the mistake.

Thomas H