Default prefix for Cabal on Windows

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 15 04:32:43 EDT 2005

On 15 June 2005 05:49, Brian Smith wrote:

> The documentation states in Section 3.1 that the default value of
> "prefix" is "/usr/local" on Unix. However, it doesn't specify what the
> prefix is on Windows. I found that the default value for prefix is:
>     C:\Program
> Files\<package-name>\<compiler-name>-<compiler-version>. For example,
> version 1.0 of a package named "Foo" compiled with GHC
> 6.5 would have a default prefix of:
>     C:\Program Files\Foo\ghc-6.5
>
> I think that a better default value of prefix on Windows would be:
>     C:\Program Files\<package-name>-<package-version>
> e.g.:
>     C:\Program Files\Foo-1.0
>
> In particular, I think it is undesirable to have the name and version
> of the compiler embedded in the default prefixes.

Ok by me to add the package version.

The compiler version is there to avoid conflicts in the case when you
have multiple versions of GHC installed and the package is installed for
each one.  However, I don't think we currently include the compiler &
version in the default $(libdir) on Unix, so whatever we do we should do
it consistently.

Cheers,
	Simon