fptools/libraries package versioning

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Sun Jul 31 19:25:22 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 01:50:20PM -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
>  Okay. But, then how can I document that these new functions are not in
> Win32-1.0? I would like to say, for example "Introduced in version 1.1" in
> the documentation. That is what made me think that the version number needs
> to be bumped (only) during the first API change after a release.

These intermediate versions differ from 1.0, but they will also differ
from 1.1, and each other.  If you build a source distribution with setup
sdist --snapshot, they will be given versions 1.0.YYYYMMDD, which lie
between the two.  This works if you increment on release (and don't
change the depth of numbering).

>> Note that the graphics part of the Win32 package fails under GHC.
>
>  Do you know why? I noticed that when I build Win32 using Cabal,
> genericWndProc and DeleteObject do not get linked correctly. I think it is a
> problem with "dynamic" imports. But, I don't know if it is related to the
> problem you are talking about.

I have no personal experience with it.  SimonM reported: