fptools/libraries package versioning

Brian Smith brianlsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 14:50:20 EDT 2005

On 7/29/05, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:41:23PM -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
> > When we send it patches to fptools/libraries that change the API,
> > should we include a patch to increment the version number too? For
> > example, I have a patch that adds bindings for WaitForMultipleObjects
> > and WaitForSingleObject to the Win32 package. Should I increase the
> > Win32 package's version number in the patch I send?
>
> That would be tedious -- incrementing on release seems more reasonable.

 Okay. But, then how can I document that these new functions are not in
Win32-1.0? I would like to say, for example "Introduced in version 1.1" in
the documentation. That is what made me think that the version number needs
to be bumped (only) during the first API change after a release.

Note that the graphics part of the Win32 package fails under GHC.

 Do you know why? I noticed that when I build Win32 using Cabal,
genericWndProc and DeleteObject do not get linked correctly. I think it is a
problem with "dynamic" imports. But, I don't know if it is related to the
problem you are talking about.
 - Brian