Time

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Jan 26 16:18:11 EST 2005

Keean Schupke <k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> If you don't run ntp (or you machine is not attached to the network)
> the timer will count milliseconds without adjustment for leap-seconds.
> When the machine is switched off, the hardware clock likewise does
> not account for leap-seconds. When you switch on time is copied from
> the hardware clock. The system timer (which counts time since switch
> on) will not be adjusted for leap-seconds surely, as its perpose is
> to measure a time interval.

It doesn't imply that it runs in TAI. I would guess it usually runs
UTC using the previous leap second count (assuming it was accurate to
a second at all), until someone sets it again.

Well, I think PC clocks are not very precise at all if they are not
synchronized with external sources. Linux NTP client has the feature
of measuring and then adjusting the relative speed of the system clock
for a reason.

If some people run their system clocks in TAI, how should a Haskell
system detect whether it's TAI or UTC?

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl