Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 15:59:08 EST 2005

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

>But it does.
>Eventually, or sometimes immediately (I don't know how fast NTP
>clients react, or whether they are programmed for faster adjustment
>around a leap second).
>All syscalls give us an approximation of UTC or a time derived from UTC.
If you don't run ntp (or you machine is not attached to the network) the
will count milliseconds without adjustment for leap-seconds. When the
is switched off, the hardware clock likewise does not account for
When you switch on time is copied from the hardware clock. The system timer
(which counts time since switch on) will not be adjusted for
leap-seconds surely,
as its perpose is to measure a time interval.

I guess I don't really know which timers NTP updates... but as some
systems may
not run NTP it seems the system time cannot be assumed to have compensated
for leap-seconds. This seems worse than having things one way or the