package description files

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 5 08:16:58 EST 2005

On 04 January 2005 19:11, Isaac Jones wrote:

>> And I meant <package> rather than "package" :-)
>
> As Ross pointed out, one problem with that is finding the file itself.
> It also sorta violates the "don't repeat yourself" principal of
> keeping data in sync.

Most of these objections are addressed by simply saying that the
basename of <package>.hsproj is irrelevant.  It doesn't have to be the
same as the package name, but by convention it makes sense for it to do
so when possible.  For the purposes of Cabal, it can be ignored.

Why not just say that the package description is contained in a single
file with a .hspkg or .hsproj suffix in the same directory as Setup.lhs?
That covers all the cases we need right now, and it's a simple rule to
describe.

Cheers,
	Simon