ANN: Cabal 0.5 (GHC 6.4 release candidate)

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Mon Feb 21 23:13:33 EST 2005

Isaac Jones wrote:

>Jens Petersen <petersen at haskell.org> writes:
>

>>Isaac Jones wrote:
>>

>>>This is a release-candidate for 0.6, which will be in GHC 6.4.
>>>

>>Thanks for the rc release. :)
>>
>>It would be nice if cabal allowed more choice or configuration
>>of install directories IMHO: in particular libdir comes to
>>mind.
>>

>Do you mean more control over where the libraries themselves end up?
>Of course, you can use --prefix during configure, but then cabal will
>still put things under that prefix in a pre-determined place.  You're
>asking for control over exactly where the libraries go?
>

>>Also it would be nice if the default was multilib aware (eg for
>>Fedora on x86_64 libdir is "/usr/lib64").
>>

>I don't quite understand.  This is for systems where you might have
>mixed 32 and 64 bit binaries?  You want cabal to detect this situation
>and compile two binaries, or you would just like it to detect the
>default libraries location on that target?

I'm not sure what Isaac meant, but to me it would be the ability to
specify one or the other.  Building two versions would be nice, but then
if there were a problem with one build you might not complete the second
build, which might be the one you really want.

An argument to configure is the logical thing to me.