Time Libraries Rough Draft

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Sat Feb 12 08:34:35 EST 2005

In article
<7DFF3BC6CA957441AEADA7F340BFAA340A029353 at GBLONEX11.lon.invesco.com>,
 "Bayley, Alistair" <Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com> wrote:

> > The problem is that it has been stated several times on this
> > thread that there will be no leap second table, nor a way to
> > use one.
>

> That's not my understanding (but then I do fid it hard to follow
> _everything_). Ashley's proposed API has the following:
>
> module System.Time.LeapSeconds ( ... ) where
>   utcDayLength :: LeapSecondTable -> JulianDay -> DiffTime
>   utcToTAITime :: LeapSecondTable -> UTCTime -> TAITime
>   taiToUTCTime :: LeapSecondTable -> TAITime -> UTCTime
>

> Of course, where the LeapSecondTable comes from is another problem...

Exactly. There will be no complete leap second table provided (since
that's not possible) or even up-to-date table (since we don't have an
API for that), but there will be a type for it and you will be able
create and use them from information you may have.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA