Bugs in Graphics.HGL.Window and its documentation

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 07:17:22 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 10:19 -0700, Kevin Van Horn wrote:
> The function openWindowEx seems to ignore its second argument
> (optional initial position of window).  Here is the test program to
> illustrate this, which I ran on Mac OS X (Tiger), using hugs:

Placing a window in a particular initial position on X11 (which is what
HGL on OSX uses) can only ever be best effort. The window manager is
free to ignore any initial placement hint that a window asks for. Some
window managers respect it others do not. There's nothing you can do
(except change or patch your window manager)