haxr (XML RPC) rendering of string values

Björn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Mon Dec 5 10:00:00 EST 2005

Johannes Waldmann wrote:
>>There is an fix in darcs now. It's untested; I'll test it as soon as I
>>get a test environment set up. Let me know how it works out for you.
>

> thanks for the fix. now there seems to be another  problem:
> my java client (using  org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClientLite)
> seems to encode spaces in strings when it creates a Request,
> but haxr does not seem to decode this.
>
> My Haskell function on the Server gets to see something like
> Actor { schule = "HTWK Leipzig" , matrikel = "531" }
> when actually it should be
> Actor { schule = "HTWK Leipzig" , matrikel = "531" }
> (this latter form is also constructed by the haxr client).
>
> Best regards,

Ah, that's a clever way to get around the problems in the XML-RPC spec
regarding the treatment of whitespace in string values.

The spec says:

"Any characters are allowed in a string except < and &, which are
encoded as &lt; and &amp;. A string can be used to encode binary data."

Nothing is said about which additional entities should be supported in
the input. I'm looking into this.

/Björn