lawbreakers in Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ

Christian Maeder maeder at
Thu Dec 1 06:36:04 EST 2005

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> I had trouble parsing your message.

Sorry, what should I improve? At last, you've parsed my message correctly.

> Are you saying that
>   (a) before changing the library you have a program that compiles ok
>   (b) after changing the library, the program becomes gigantic and won't
> link
> ?

Yes, I say (a) and (b)

> Nothing to do with *running* the program?

Right, no run-time problem.

> If I have understood right, what are the sizes of the .o files in (a)
> and (b)?   Has one (or lots) gotten gigantic?

Yes, one .o file has (a) 150 KB before and (b) 4 MB after the library
change. I assume, I should supply a test case (to
glasgow-haskell-bugs at I'll do so later.

Better, do not commit the patch I've sent you to
Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ before this issue is settled.