Suggestion re Data.Storable.Array

Paul Steckler paul.steckler.ctr at
Wed Apr 20 21:09:59 EDT 2005

  I recently needed to access C-like arrays
from Haskell.  Everyone pointed me to
Data.Storable.Array, but that wasn't quite
what I wanted.  The MArray class that provides
the interface for storable arrays insists that
it create the storage via newArray or newArray_.
But I already had the C storage I needed; I justed
wanted to wrap that in Haskell.

  I cons'ed up my own primitives, which work just
fine, but it would be nice to just use something
already in the libraries.  Concretely, adding
a way to create a storable array from an existing
Ptr would've done the trick.  I can see that's
less safe, but sometimes you have to live

-- Paul