Cabal Installing Executables

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sat Apr 16 15:57:05 EDT 2005

Niklas Broberg <niklas.broberg at gmail.com> writes:

>> I want the executables in /my/chosen/dir/bin but the library to be in
>> /usr/local/lib rather than /my/chosen/dir/lib.
>
> With "ordinary" configure scripts, you can finetune installation using
> flags like --libdir, --bindir, --includedir etc. This doesn't seem to
> work with Cabal just yet, but I don't think there are any reasons why
> it shouldn't be implementable. Feature request? =)

I don't see any problem with this, except that there will be a lot of
configure flags if we keep this up.  That's typical for configure,
though.  Also, of course, it adds more complexity to the source.

>> One final thought: why is there no uninstall?
>
> I've requested it too, and the simple answer was because no one's
> implemented it yet.

Uninstall is also a little funny because in order to use it you have
to have the cabal-ized source package around somewhere, and cabal
doesn't install it.  That said, there's no really deep reason not to
have it.

I filed wishlist bugs for both of these against the debian package
haskell-cabal, which is where i'm keeping but reports.

peace,

 isaac