state of the cabal (preprocessors)

Henrik Nilsson nhn at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Mon Oct 25 11:43:45 EDT 2004

Malcolm Wallace wrote:

 > I think Simon was suggesting the pragma {-# LANGUAGE ... #-} for a
 > compiler-independent specification of the specific language extensions
 > required by a module - this could indeed be in a format derived from
 > Cabal.

Very good.

 > I don't see how the use of pragmas will directly reduce the need for
 > conditional imports.  Eventually, the libraries shipped with compilers
 > will converge sufficiently to reduce differences in imports, but that
 > is a separate issue.

I simply meant that it would be unfortunate if one had to resort to
CPP just because of some incompatibility between the command-line
syntax of the various compilers. E.g., I'd rather not write
things like

     #ifdef __GHC__
     {-# OPTIONS ... #-}
     #endif
     #ifdef __NHC__
     {-# OPTIONS ... #-}
     #endif

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science and Information Technology
nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk