Generic I/O

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Oct 22 09:32:23 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how to describe this concept in Haskell, so let me
first start by describing a feature of Python I find very useful.

In Python, a file handle is just another object.  It has certain methods
that Python programmers expect to find: read(), readlines(), write(),
writelines(), seek(), tell(), etc.  This is useful because even things
do not correspond to OS-level file descriptors can be accessed as files.
In Python, this is used so that a file-like interface is available for
gzip/gunzip interfaces, strings, SSL connections, bzip2, files from FTP,
etc.  That means that almost any function designed to work with an
on-disk file could also work transparently read from a gzipped file, a
string, etc.

I think it would be useful to have this sort of abstraction in Haskell.
However, I can't really see any way to tie into the Handle system; from
what I can tell, it seems to be hooked in with the underlying OS at a
fairly low level.

One alternative would be to provide a typeclass that provides
equivolents for most of the functions that work on a Handle.  Making a
Handle a member of that class would be trivial.  We could also extend
the concept a bit so that we could have separate classes for certain
features that not all file-like things would support -- for instance,
some function could have this type:

fooFunc :: SeekableHandle a => a -> IO String

So, I'm wondering:

1. Has anybody already done work on this?  If so, is there any consensus
on which implementations are most useful?  Are there any known problems
with existing implementations?

2. Is this something that could eventually make its way into the
standard hierarchical libraries?  If I were to implement it -- and it
sounds fairly easy to do -- do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
John