Preprocessors

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 13:17:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 05:26:23PM +0200, Sven Panne wrote:
> If you mean "everyone happy with a LGPL", then I would agree. But GHC and
> Hugs use a BSD-style license, so cpphs is not an option for them. After
> some googling and testing I found MCPP (http://directory.fsf.org/MCPP.html),
> which is a highly configurable preprocessor with a small footprint and a
> BSD license. Shipping this as an internal tool with GHC 6.4 and the next
> Hugs release (especially for use with the hugs-package tool) should be
> possible, I see what I can do...

Do we really want to get into the packaging business?  I'm not sure about
Ketil's setup, but I don't think that gcc -traditional has broken Haskell
yet (except for \ at end of line).  They may do it tomorrow, of course,
but then some of us already have mcpp, and others can get it.

> P.S.: Ross, any schedule for a Hugs release yet?

Ah.  As usual, we could to a Unix release tomorrow, but Windows needs
a bit of work, and who's going to do that?

I also think the next Hugs release should support HGL/SOE on Windows
(currently X11 only), but there's something wrong with the graphics
part of the new Win32 package and I'm not in a position to fix it.
(Fixing that would make Win32 and HGL available to GHC too, and the
last of hslibs deprecable.)

After that, we'll have to start asking Sigbjorn nicely.