Haskell Libraries Wishlist

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 21:06:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 06:36, John Goerzen wrote:
> On 2004-10-12, Shae Matijs Erisson <shae at ScannedInAvian.com> wrote:
> > John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:
> Thank you for the numerous helpful suggestions.  I will be chasing them
> down.
>
> Many (all?) of them were not listed at
> http://www.haskell.org/libraries/, which is what I was using.  Would it
> be possible to list more of these on that site?

One problem with that web site is that any update requires the manual
intervention of a maintainer.  (This is not to be seen as a critique of
the maintainers.  They do a good job.  It is just that setups like that
always tend to lag.)

How can this be solved?  Somebody could sit down and build a system that
supports author submission that get automatically processed etc.  AFAIK
that has been proposed before and nothing happened.  So, I wonder why
not reuse a resource that already exists, namely

  http://freshmeat.net/

Freshmeat already has a Haskell category,

  http://freshmeat.net/browse/834/

which provides an easy way to get all Haskell software out of the
database and could be linked from haskell.org.

Freshmeat entries need not necessarily be created and updated by the
authors of some software.  Instead, interested users can maintain a
freshmeat entry.  This facility seems to improve the accuracy of the
freshmeat db.

Cheers,
Manuel