DData in hierarchical libraries

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 15 12:21:44 EST 2004

> > The breakage to code will be fairly minimal:
> Data.FiniteMap can be left
> > in place but deprecated, many of the operations from
> Data.Set can also
> > be provided by the new Data.Set (but deprecated, of
> course).  The other
> > modules don't conflict.
>
> By the way, is there already a mechanism for marking
> deprecated code?  Will
> deprecated code be removed some time or will it pollute the
> libraries until the end of time?

GHC has a DEPRECATED pragma:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/pragmas.html#DEP
RECATED-PRAGMA

There really ought to be a way in Haddock to indicate deprecated
interfaces too.

As a rule of thumb, something that is DEPRECATED will last for at least
two major releases of GHC (DEPRECATED in one major release, still
available in the next, then removed).  We sometimes keep things longer
than this, though.  There have been instances where things have been
removed early too - this should only happen in libraries that are marked
"experimental" though.

Cheers,
	Simon