version control and LIP

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Mar 15 06:23:45 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:54:09AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org> writes:
>
> > I hope you can solve this problem.  Perhaps this is another reason I
> > should move to darcs?  How's darcs support in windows?
>
> According to the following message on the darcs-users list, there is a
> build for it.  I don't have Windows easily available, so I don't know
> how well it works.

I asked Vlad recently (off-list) about the state of the windows darcs
build, since I don't have windows myself.  There are apparently a few
issues remaining.  First off, email is a problem if you want to send
patches via email.  There is MAPI code, but apparently it doesn't work and
noone knows how to fix it.  There's also a bug that shows up in file
handling, which is going to be a bit trickier to track down, especially
since Vlad doesn't know haskell... but I've also heard from satisfied
windows users, so this may be a rare bug or one that people can work around
(and haven't bothered reporting).

There isn't that much code in darcs that is platform-dependent.  Most of
the "hard" windows problems other than MAPI support (e.g. threading, which
is done using either native windows calls or the pthreads library, I'm told
both now work) have already been dealt with.  So what remains is little
things like the buggy renameFile on windows (which fails if the new
filename already exists--this is just an example of something I've already
had to deal with), which are harder to track down, but are at least "pure
haskell" problems.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs