version control and LIP

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Mar 15 10:39:08 EST 2004

The computing world is sooo full of new tools and techniques to be
mastered;  each new tool, even if quite modest in its demands on a user,
can become a drag on getting a project off the ground.  (I recall an
argument from the old look-and-feel copyright wars:  the users have *much*
more investment in a particular user interface than the software developers.)

So, speaking for myself:  I use CVS locally, and I'm slowly getting the
hang of using it remotely, via SSH.  I also like the fact that it has a GUI
front-end on Windows systems in the form of WinCVS.  I'm not enthusiastic
about learning any other version control system, unless the added benefits
are truly compelling.

Reading ahead this thread, I feel I should try and indicate what I think
would be improvements:
- more obvious functionality, especially for simple operations like adding
new projects/directories/files and retrieving them to new workspaces, and
fetching updates to existing workspace (CVS seems a little quirky in this
area).
- secure remote operations "out of the box" (or "out of the installation
kit").  (I have found that getting WinCVS to work with SSH has been a
somewhat muddled process.)
- widespread tool availability, including repository hosting on Linux and
Windows platforms, preferably with a simple and obvious GUI-style front-end
(also multi-platform).
- repository compatibility/cross-accessibility (what do I do with all my
old CVS repository data?)

It's difficult for me to see any of these as truly compelling for
change.  Maybe:  "easier to use, especially for common functions and secure
remote operations" might just win the day for me.

I've never really had to deal with large-scale multi-user projects, so
there are probably possible improvements in that area that don't appear on
my radar

#g