version control and LIP

seth at haskell.org seth at haskell.org
Sat Mar 13 21:45:13 EST 2004

The reason (I believe) that you tend to get such a wide range of opinions in
this area is that there is not a single common set of needs.  For some
situations CVS is great, for others it is simply dreadful, and those who
have only experienced it in one environment or the other have very different
impressions.  Of course, most projects are at neither extreme, and for these
projects CVS is perceived has having small weaknesses, or larger weaknesses,
depending the specifics.

I think the broadest line of variation is the issue of whether a centralized
repository is a good thing, a bad thing, or something in between.  Certainly
situations where the centralization of repositories causes problems are
prime candidates for paridigms other than CVS/subversion.  (It is possible
to decentralize repositories with add on products but if we start talking
about those the discussion will expand astronomically.)

If I am correct, and it is the nature of the problem space rather than the
nature of the tool that is important, then Haskell should lean towards
supporting a variety of tools and not requiring any particular one.

Seth Kurtzberg