new Library Infrastructure spec.

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 12:05:16 EDT 2004

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <haskell at alexjacobson.com> writes:

> Bob wants to install libraries, but has only an
> editor and a haskell compiler/interpreter
> installed on his machine. Although we can't expect
> him to build packages created by Marcus (which
> require a C compiler), there is no reason he
> shouldn't be able to install packages created by
> Angela or Peter Packager (new persona!).

It seems to me that Bob the Builder does not deserve the name if he
doesn't have the facilities to build a random package from source!
If Bob is really that naive then his name is Joe User, who only wants
to use the package, not build it.

Your Peter Packager seems to have exactly the attributes we intended
Bob the Builder to have.  So you have conflated Joe and Bob into a
single persona, necessitating the introduction of Peter, but in our
minds Bob and Peter are the same persona, quite separate from Joe.

Regards,
    Malcolm