hierarchical libraries documentation index

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 29 10:17:21 EDT 2004

On 29 July 2004 14:16, Martin Sjögren wrote:

> I think it would be nice to have the docs split up per-package. I.e.
> one page for haskell98, one for base, one for unix etc. Of course,
> there could be a complete page of everything too, but I find it's a
> pain to navigate it because it's so long...

Are you talking about splitting up the contents, or the index?  Up until the last release, both of these pages used to be per-package.  But we found that this was bad because someone looking for a particular module didn't know which package to look in, and the package boundaries are kind of arbitrary.

In the future, when an installation probably has lots of 3rd-party packages installed, each with their own documentation, we'll probably need to re-generate the contents and index page each time a new package is installed.

If you find it a pain to navigate the combined contents page, then I think the solution is not to split it up, but to make it easier to navigate (a bit of dynamic HTML goes a long way...).

Cheers,
	Simon