DData in hierarchical libraries

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 11:18:51 EST 2004

JP Bernardy <jyp_7 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Some time ago we discussed the inclusion of DData in
> hierachical libraries.
> Additionnaly, a root name in the hierarchy must be
> chosen. A simple "DData" looks good to me. Or Data.Aux
> is better?

One of the design principles of the hierarchical libraries is to
*never* use catch-all names like "Aux", "Misc", "Etc".  They convey
no meaning, and the point of the hierarchy is to name by semantic
category, based on the functionality of the modules.

By a similar argument, the name "DData", while fine as a name for the
package itself, does not convey sufficient distinguishing information
as the root prefix of the modules themselves.  Probably the simple
"Data" prefix is exactly what you want, unless there are significant
overlaps with the module names already in the "base" package.

Regards,
    Malcolm