Haskell library infrastructure coordinator

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 15:14:12 +1000

G'day all.

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:51:55PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> I don't quite understand the purpose of the hslibs libraries: are you
> providing a replacement set of libraries, or a complementary set?

I believe that the purpose of hslibs is more like a wiki.

Everyone (and I do mean you, gentle reader) has a bunch of random
modules, experiments, Functional Pearls and so on that they've written
which may be potentially useful to others in some form but are nowhere
near ready for "prime time".  The purpose of hslibs is to give these
modules an opportunity not to get lost and, potentially, later enter
the library infrastructure proper if some appropriately interested
soul is willing to polish them.

In other words, hslibs is kind of primordial soup from which "real"
libraries may evolve.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage