Soliciting Comments on DSP Library

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:23:42 +0100

I have just a few simple comments about naming.

> The Stat library could really live anywhere.  It only contains functions
> for mean, median, variance, and std. dev.

I suggest the fuller name 'Statistics', and indeed it does not belong
under DSP.  Possibly under Numeric, but maybe at the top level?

> The Poly library could have a home somewhere else because it could be of
> use to people outside of DSP.  Some people had suggested making it a
> subclass of Num.

'Poly' what?  Polymorphic? Polynomial?

>   Numeric
>      Transform
>         DFT -- Discrete Fourier Transform
>         DCT -- Discrete Cosine Transform
>         DST -- Discrete Sine Transform
>         DHT -- Discrete Hartley Transform

How about

    Numeric
       DiscreteTransform
          Fourier
          Cosine
          Sine
          Hartley

>   Numeric
>     Random
>       Generators -- MT19937, DRAND48, ...
>       PDF        -- Uniform, Normal, Poisson, Rayleigh, ...
>       Spectral?  -- White, Pink, Red, ...

PDF = Adobe Portable Document Format?  No?  Then what? My guess is
Psomething Distribution Function, so how about Numeric.Random.Distribution?

Regards,
    Malcolm