Soliciting comments on Edison

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:06:54 +1000

G'day all.

Oops, sent that to the wrong place.

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:04:23AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> At the moment, Edison has its own top-level name in the hierarchy.  This
> was intended to be a temporary measure - [...]

Fair enough.

> ultimately we want a
> comprehensive library of data structures under Data, but there was a
> feeling at the time that Edison is not The Right Thing.

IMO, the problems with Edison are:

   1. Some inconsistenties with the existing interface.

   2. Interface has way too much surface area.

   3. Too hard to pick which data structure you want.

I've fixed 1, at least for the inconsistencies that bugged me.

The purpose of facades is to solve problems 2 and 3.  By building a
simplifying layer on top of Edison, you get the best of both worlds.
You pick your data structure by its abstract name (e.g. Stack, Queue,
Deque etc)

> For my money, I'd be happy with something simpler.

Simple, convenient, consistent.  Pick any two. :-)

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage