monad library

Iavor Diatchki diatchki@cse.ogi.edu
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:30:15 +0000

hello,

Simon Marlow wrote:
> When you take a top-level name for a library, the programmer is
> prevented from using that top-level name for modules in a program.  I'd
> prefer to keep the top-level Monad name for monads in the current
> program, rather than a generic Monad library.
this is a relevent point. i am not sure if it is a good idea to put all
your monads in a monad directory, but i guess some programmers might
want to do it.  by the way i don't think this would be a problem if
relative names were added to the module system, as a porgrammer could
use an absolute name for the system library, and a relative name for the
project monads.  but we have already discussed that.

 > So my vote goes to keeping the current Control.Monad name for the
 > library.
it seems that most people don't want the library in Monad.* so i guess
we should keep it in Control.Monad.*.   then the next question is when
to replace the current library with the modified one.  i am not sure of
the user base of the monad library, but i would rather do it sooner than
later.  i guess i should point out that the "new" library is not much
different from the old one, and with exception of resumptions and the
instances for the Monad* classes for continuations added after another
transformer things should work fine (those two were not in the previous
library anyways).  if we keep the library under Unstable*, i doubt that
anyone would use it, and this will slow down tracking of bugs etc.

there is also the problem of it being available only from CVS.  i could
make a package available from my web-page (or some other page), but then
it would clash with the library in base.  do you think it would be a
good idea to split it from the base package?   base seems huge as it is
already.

bye
iavor

| Iavor S. Diatchki, Ph.D. student               |
| Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
| School of OGI at OHSU                          |
| http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~diatchki               |