docon 2.06 triggers compiler bug

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 17 08:55:10 EST 2003

I assume that by "standard" library you mean "distributed with GHC and
Hugs".  The trouble with this approach is that it ties the package to
the GHC/Hugs release schedules, bloats the release size, and it
seriously increases our test burden before a release.

Our general plan is instead to try to make it much, much easier for
people to distribute packages for GHC, Hugs etc, which download and
install trivially easily.  It's possible today, but requires a lot of
work.

That is exactly what the library infrastructure project is doing --
Isaac Jones is leading it, but I'm sure he could do with help.  Isaac,
how's it going?

Simon

On Behalf Of Peter Simons