FW: First Attempt at Crypto Library

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:47:54 +0100

Matt Harden <matth@mindspring.com> writes:

> I would agree with Codec.Binary.Base64.

The epithet "Binary" doesn't add any information.  Almost all of the
possible image and video codecs are binary-based, but that fact is
really rather irrelevant to their purpose.  It is also irrelevant to
the purpose of Base64.  I maintain that the primary purpose of Base64
is to encode something as text.

> I would prefer Codec.General for any truly general-purpose codecs,

Death to "Misc"!  Having a category named something like General or
Miscellaneous or Utils, simply conveys no useful information.

> The zip file format is a
> different story; I would suggest FileFormat.Archive.Zip for that.

Surely Codec.Archive.Zip?  Again, a zip, tar, or cab archive is
not necessarily stored in a file.

> I'm not sure public key vs. symmetric deserves an additional level in
> the hierarchy.  Each encryption codec is inherently either sym or PK,
> and should implement the appropriate interface for its class.  I think
> I'd like Codec.Encryption.PublicKey to be the name of the public key
> class, which each PK alg. would implement.

I agree with this.

Regards,
    Malcolm