Lang. (was Re: Alternative hierarchy proposal)

Malcolm Wallace malcolm@abbess.demon.co.uk
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:50:34 +0000

Simon Marlow wrote:

> I must admit, I'm not keen on the name "Control" - it's meaning isn't
> clear in the context of Haskell, and it sounds forced.  Let's face it,
> we're trying to find a unifying concept for a mixed bag of abstract
> libraries, and there just isn't one.

Doesn't that very fact suggest that these libraries should /not/ be
grouped together?

> FWIW, I just took a poll of the 4 people in our office (inc. me) and the
> vote came out unanimously in favour of calling it "Lang".

And our office (of 2) continues to have a unanimously opposite view...

So if these libraries really don't belong together, as you admit, we
need to find alternative homes for them.  Here's one suggestion:

    Monad       ->  Data.Structures.Monad
    Exception   ->  System.Control.Exception
    Generics    ->  Type.Generics
    Dynamic     ->  Type.Dynamic
    Unique      ->  Data.Structures.Unique
    Concurrent  ->  System.Control.Concurrent
    Parallel    ->  System.Control.Parallel

Regards,
    Malcolm