[jhc] how to use jhc

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Sat Oct 6 20:23:41 EDT 2007

John Meacham wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 01:13:07PM -0300, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>> I'm trying to run Jhc again, following docs/using.txt.  "(g)make" works.
>> real_install: cannot stat `base-1.0.hl': No such file or directory
>> real_install: cannot stat `haskell98-1.0.hl': No such file or directory
>
> This is because by default jhc won't build the libraries from scratch
> because it takes a whole lot of time to do so and most systems arn't
> beefy enough, you can do a 'make fetch-libs' and it should grab them
> from the web. or if you want to build them from scratch, you can do a
> 'make libs'. I believe the pre-compiled ones on the site should work
> with the latest development tree, if not, that is a bug.
>
> I have been working on getting more of the test cases for the 'nobench'
> suite compiling out of the box so that when it switches back to
> comparing compilers, jhc should be green across the board.
>
> If someone wants to help out, testing a few and figuring out why/if they
> don't work would be a useful thing to do.
>
> A lot of the issues I have encountered so far are straightforward
> library things that are easy to fix without touching jhc at all.
>
>     John

okay,

(the instruction that you need to (`make fetch-libs` || `make libs`)
should be in docs/using.txt)

This finally worked for me, after trying a few things:

JHCLIBPATH=/Users/me/programming/instjhc/lib/jhc-0.1
../../instjhc/bin/jhc -vvvv Main.hs

docs/using.txt also needs to be more explicit about JHCLIBPATH needing
to be set, and what it needs to be set to (not prefix, not prefix/lib,
but prefix/lib/jhc-[version] !) or possibly say something about JHCPATH,
but I don't know if JHCPATH means anything nor, if so, what.

BTW. my hello world program 'main=putStrLn"hello"' ran correctly using
this jhc.

Isaac