[jhc] how to use jhc

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Oct 5 19:12:58 EDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 01:13:07PM -0300, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> I'm trying to run Jhc again, following docs/using.txt.  "(g)make" works.
> real_install: cannot stat `base-1.0.hl': No such file or directory
> real_install: cannot stat `haskell98-1.0.hl': No such file or directory

This is because by default jhc won't build the libraries from scratch
because it takes a whole lot of time to do so and most systems arn't
beefy enough, you can do a 'make fetch-libs' and it should grab them
from the web. or if you want to build them from scratch, you can do a
'make libs'. I believe the pre-compiled ones on the site should work
with the latest development tree, if not, that is a bug.

I have been working on getting more of the test cases for the 'nobench'
suite compiling out of the box so that when it switches back to
comparing compilers, jhc should be green across the board.

If someone wants to help out, testing a few and figuring out why/if they
don't work would be a useful thing to do.

A lot of the issues I have encountered so far are straightforward
library things that are easy to fix without touching jhc at all.

    John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈