[jhc] failure with precompiled libs?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Feb 4 23:12:28 EST 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:45:05PM -0800, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> After waiting four hours for the libraries to compile on my woefully underpowered
> machine, I gave up and tried to use the libraries from:
>
> http://repetae.net/john/computer/jhc/libs/
>
> I copied both files into my jhc dir, and then:
>
> stefan at stefans:/usr/local/src/jhc$ ./jhc -L. -flint -v test/HelloWorld.hs
> jhc -L. -flint -v test/HelloWorld.hs
> Compiling ["test/HelloWorld.hs"]
> stefan at stefans:/usr/local/src/jhc$
>
> Also, augustss on #haskell said that he was unable to use jhc because "the
> precompiled libraries were incompatible with my jhc somehow".
>
> Is this a known problem? (not being able to use precompiled libs)

In general, I try to keep the libraries compatable with the last
'tagged' version of the repository, if that is not the case, then I need
to fix it. It very well might be broken at the moment, as I recently
switched to using the new Data.Binary serialization library and using
zlib for compression, so

in any case, rather than using the libraries, you can compile with

--noauto -Llib/base -Llib/haskell98  to use the source files for the
library directly. this is generally recommended for development of jhc
anyway.

I'll update the libraries on the site in any case. The use of the new
Data.Binary has been great, some of the repurcusions of the change
havn't quite settled yet.

        John
--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈