[Haskell-iPhone] Installing various packages

David Pollak feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:13:15 CET 2011

On Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] wrote:

> David,
>
> math.h is standard C library stuff. If it can't find that, then it means
> the SDK it is trying to use, namely,
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator4.2.sdk/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/include/,
> is not there. The version-dependency is very brittle. If you need a
> different version, you'll need to build GHC from source.

When I backed out of Lion to OS X 10.6, I backed down to XCode 3.2.6.  Can I use XCode 4.2 with ghc-iphone?

> We have used parsec-3.1.0 on iPhone quite happily.

Cool

> I don't want to spend any time on the old ghc-6.10.4-based version that
> I could be spending on the new one.

Sounds like a good use of your time.  My constraint is that I'm planning to show off my iPad app on Nov 16th, so integration between the Haskell part and the iPad part is happening now. ;-)

> On the subject of the new GHC-iPhone
> compiler, here's an update:
>
> * ARM support is now present in GHC HEAD, using the LLVM code generator.
> You can build GHC locally on ARM linux, for example, and the speed of
> code execution is roughly twice the speed of the C-based code-gen.
>
> * The necessary LLVM changes will now be in LLVM version 3.0 thanks to
> Karel Gardas and David Terei.
>
> * Well Typed were planning to implement generalized cross-compiling, but
> they're now looking for funding for this work. Since we (= iPwn Studios)
> need it soon, I'll be starting on it myself, hopefully this week.
> Cross-compiling in general is the bulk of the work. The iPhone-specific
> stuff is essentially the same as for the old GHC-6.10.4-based version.
>
> * An Android compiler will follow, but I can't estimate when.

All of this stuff is very cool and I look forward to contributing into the overall Haskell/iOS space soon.

Thanks,

David