[Hugs-users] Start hugs without loading Prelude.hs?

dfeustel at mindspring.com dfeustel at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 11 11:23:21 EST 2006

> [BTW, your mailer is mangling From: lines]

Thanks for the tip. What's getting mangled?

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:08:30PM +0000, Dave at haskell.org wrote:
> > I am now reading the Haskell 98 Revised Report.
>
> Good plan.  Reading chapters 6, 7 and 8 of the Report (not necessarily
> in that order) is a better way of getting acquainted with the Prelude
> than reading Prelude.hs from the Hugs source.

I am also reading the gentle intro to Haskell. I find the revised Haskell
98 report to be the clearest explanation (until MEGO and I have to take
a break). Last night MEGO occurred when I started reading about patterns.
I'll try again later today.

> > As I get a better understanding of the Prelude,
> > I am wondering if there is a way to run hugs
> > without the prelude file being loaded. Is that possible?
>
> You can't prevent it being loaded, but you can hide all the names it
> defines by writing a module
> and loading that.  (Not sure why you'd want to do that, though.)

I'm trying to understand what primitive operators are built into hugs
that are then used to load the Prelude. (I'm a bottom-up type of person).

> (If you still have that Prelude.hs you copied in the current directory,
> you should remove it.)

What I still don't understand is why that file being present affects
the way hugs runs when hugs says it is ignoring the file.

It's looking to me like Haskell/Hugs98 is shaping up to be my next big
self-education project.

Dave