[Hugs-users] Start hugs without loading Prelude.hs?

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 11:23:21 EST 2006

[BTW, your mailer is mangling From: lines]

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:08:30PM +0000, Dave at haskell.org wrote:
> I am now reading the Haskell 98 Revised Report.

Good plan.  Reading chapters 6, 7 and 8 of the Report (not necessarily
in that order) is a better way of getting acquainted with the Prelude
than reading Prelude.hs from the Hugs source.

> As I get a better understanding of the Prelude,
> I am wondering if there is a way to run hugs
> without the prelude file being loaded. Is that possible?

You can't prevent it being loaded, but you can hide all the names it
defines by writing a module

	module Empty where
	import Prelude()

and loading that.  (Not sure why you'd want to do that, though.)

(If you still have that Prelude.hs you copied in the current directory,
you should remove it.)