[Hugs-users] Hugs98-plus-Sept2006

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Sat Dec 9 13:42:11 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> As for the primitive operations, you shouldn't use them, ever. If you
> want to add two things use (+). They are merely an internal
> implementation detail, which I guess should never have been available
> to the user in the first place, and now isn't. I guess its a shame
> that a book that is only 2 years old is out of date, perhaps you might
> want to contact the authors to give them this information, so they can
> put it on a web page or something and save other people this
> confusion.

Yes, these were internal details of the Hugs implementation of the
Prelude, and shouldn't have been exposed.  They were only ever visible
when the Prelude was the current module, and have been properly hidden
since the November 2002 release.

But since they existed only to implement Haskell 98, there are always
Haskell 98 alternatives, e.g. minBound::Int for primMinInt, as already
mentioned.