[Hugs-users] Fwd: Hugs'06

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:25:51 EST 2005

> first, bugs. i attached two programs, which make problems under
> WinHugs/Feb04.
Thats really old! Unfortunately, it is the most recent official
WinHugs release, however a new beta version of WinHugs is at
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/winhugs.php - you may
have more success with this build.

> The first shows error in `poke` for Word64
> values, and second even don't compiles because of problems in
> de-sugaring parallel comprehensions
Have you switched on Haskell 98 extensions? Parallel comperhensions
are not standard Haskell 98, but I think they are supported with
extensions on.

> WinHugs environment are much more
> user-friendly than ghci.
Hopefully the new version of WinHugs will be significantly more user
friendly than even the old version of WinHugs, that has been my
experience using it.

> 1) lack of preprocessor in WinHugs. i know that i can setup makefile
> to do this, but this is not convenient. preprocessor is absolutely
> needed for me to mask differences between GHC and Hugs
The Linux build and console versions of Hugs have these. Unfortunately
WinHugs does not :( I did write a version which roughly hacked in a
preprocessor, but then I went and modified my code so it didn't
require a preprocessor, and the changes were very hacky, so I never
took the time to get them submitted. Why are you using a preprocessor?
If you give me your situation, show its 100% essential, and its the
one thing holding you back that would probably motivate me enough to
get the changes in finally.

> several more complaints about WinHugs environment:
The old WinHugs, the new WinHugs has quite a few of these fixed.

> 1) mouse-clicking on the scroll bar at the right must, at Windows
> standards, scroll whole page up/down, but WinHugs scrolls only one line
> at a time :(
Fixed! This used to really annoy me too, and was the main reason I
started hacking at WinHugs.

> 2) easy-to-open window with list of commands previously executed, with
> ability to reexecute them or just put to cmdline, will be very
> helpful. if i issue many different commands, it is more useful, than
> scrolling through them with Up/Down keys
Thats certainly a possibility, not that much work, and I quite lack
that idea. I'll think about it.

> 3) calling editor, when error encountered, with positioning it on the
> line with error
Done! This is a really useful feature.

> 4) F1 (Help) command loads hugs.hlp while my win xp can show more
> user-friendly hugs98.chm
Done, I killed off hugs.hlp entirely I think - it was outdated and I
couldn't figure how to build it.

If you have any more suggestions relating to the new build of WinHugs,
I'd be delighted to hear them.

Thanks

Neil