[Hugs-users] Fwd: Hugs'06

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Fri Dec 9 02:18:10 EST 2005

my first letter :)

first, bugs. i attached two programs, which make problems under
WinHugs/Feb04. The first shows error in `poke` for Word64
values, and second even don't compiles because of problems in
de-sugaring parallel comprehensions

second, my greatest gratitudes for such great program, to all
the Hugs team. I write program which working version is compiled with
GHC, but GHC (and even GHCi) is somewhat slow and unfriendly
environment. Hugs greatest compliance with GHC make developing my
program much faster, and its WinHugs environment are much more
user-friendly than ghci. but after several months of developing base
part of my program with Hugs+GHC i have to switch to GHC only and
below is a list of incompatibilities/inconveniencies which cause this.
If you can fix at least some of them in next Hugs release, i will
be very glad

1) lack of preprocessor in WinHugs. i know that i can setup makefile
to do this, but this is not convenient. preprocessor is absolutely
needed for me to mask differences between GHC and Hugs

2) lack of hGetBuf/hPutBuf operations

3) monomorphism restriction

4) inability to create <<foreign import "wrapper">> functions, so i can
call back from C to Haskell. but i think that this is huge task and
i personally can debug most parts of my programs without it

while writing the last sentence, i scanned Hugs docs directory for FFI
word and found that import wrappers are supported, but how it works is
not documented. can i request a section on using FFI in Hugs docs? i
can even write small part of it, describing compilation of foreign
imports in windows Hugs

several more complaints about WinHugs environment:

1) mouse-clicking on the scroll bar at the right must, at Windows
standards, scroll whole page up/down, but WinHugs scrolls only one line
at a time :(

2) easy-to-open window with list of commands previously executed, with
ability to reexecute them or just put to cmdline, will be very
helpful. if i issue many different commands, it is more useful, than
scrolling through them with Up/Down keys

3) calling editor, when error encountered, with positioning it on the
line with error

4) F1 (Help) command loads hugs.hlp while my win xp can show more
user-friendly hugs98.chm

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com