Problem with hierarchical libraries in Hugs compared to ghc/nhc98

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:48:59 +0000

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> > Better yet, drop the support for interpreting the '.' as anything but
> > a hierarchial module namespace separator.  That is, use this:
>
> I'm curious why you want to do that: in recent discussions on
> glasgow-haskell-users one or two people spoke up in favour of allowing
> the dotted version, and I was seriously considering adding it to GHC.  I
> can't remember all the reasons off the top of my head though.

I think you misunderstand Alastair's comment.  The interpretation of '.'
that he suggests getting rid of is that of relative directory pathnames,
e.g. import "../../lib/Something.hs", which is currently permitted in Hugs,
but should no longer be necessary now that we hierarchical libs.

Regards,
    Malcolm