Unicode support in Hugs - alpha-patch available

Ross Paterson ross@soi.city.ac.uk
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:53:00 +0100

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:18:24PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> Just to be clear, the Unicode support under discussion comprises only:
> - making ord(maxBound::Char) a lot bigger, say 0x10FFFD.
> - making the character classification and case conversion functions
>   in the Char module work on the expanded range.

I forgot string literals, which are essential for a basic implementation.
They could be handled by re-interpreting the internal String type (not
the Haskell type) as UTF-encoded strings.  It's all feasible, but it's
a bit more complicated than I thought at first.